Dog Photography, Seattle WA

Friday, June 11, 2010

The Day Has Come

The news no one wants to hear, but I must share these thoughts to start the healing process. Rosie has gone to "Doggie Heaven".

This Will Be The Day.
August 31, 2009
As I begin to write my thoughts, they come to mind because the days are whizzing by and I don't want to be too late, too late for my words, my thoughts and my feelings. Too late to get hold of myself the day I cannot hold back my tears. Too late for when Rosie's doctor arrives at our front door, we exchange no words, as I open the door wide to let him in and show the way to where Rosie will be laid to rest forever. Here Dr. Mike and I will exchange words in our family room at Rosies bedside, words of prayer amongst friends that I hope to gather in time on that day. The day we all dread the most in our lives. The day a loved one passes on, but first there will be words of procedures and medicine and how quickly things will happen before you even know it has happened.

This will be the day that Rosie becomes wonderful thoughts and loving memories of the blessings she has brought us everyday of her life. This will be the day that she will forever be with us in our hearts and prayers and no longer with us cuddled on the sofa or waiting for a pinch of cereal from my bowl to her bowl every morning. This will be the day that Rosie no longer paces in the back of my Pathfinder on our way to the off-leash dog park but will forever travel with us in our hearts and minds. This will be the day that I begin to think about feeling her ashes sifting through my fingers as a Montana breeze spreads her ashes along the Blackfoot river where her best buddy Sheba lies. This will be the day that I can no longer smell the scent of her fuzzy paws as she lies on her back waiting for that crooked smile belly-scratch. This will be the day that reality sets in and Rosie fades to beautiful memories of countless smiles followed by warm tears, laughter and then a moment of silence.

I don't want to to say "these were the words I should have written before Rosie passed away", I want to say "these are the words I wrote while Rosie was alive". A live wire when it was time for her to go blackberry hunting in the summer. A live pistol when she wanted to go for a walk on the coldest and rainy days of winter. Alive when her nose knew when I opened a jar of peanut butter in the kitchen, while I thought she was asleep upstairs.

This will be the day. I just wanted to be prepared for when this day comes.

God bless you Rosie. We love you and will miss you!


The Day After
June 8th, 2010
As I sit here writing, I cannot help but think of all the wonderful people that Rosie has brought into our life since DeeDee and I brought home 18 month old Rosie from the Bellevue Humane Society after MLK weekend of 1997. We have been dearly blessed by the grace of God who brought Rosie to us and to have so many loving, caring and thoughtful people in our lives that have been there through thick and thin. Thank you all so much and may we always take care of our pets, to the best of our ability because they will always be there for us with an open heart and a listening ear to lean on.

God bless you Dr. Mike and all other veterinary doctors and their staff that face these difficult times on a regular basis.

Hugs and prayers,
Chris & DeeDee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully written and truly from the soul. I only met Rosie a few times, but in those brief moments (and through her blog) I feel I know her as I know my own canine "kids".

Thank God for everything Rosie has done and thank you Chris for sharing her joy and love with us all. She will be missed.

-D. Ted

Cheryl said...

So sorry to hear of Rosie's passing. They are family members, sometimes more than the humans who share our lives. They are true friends to the end and beyond and a constant companion, and the love of our lives. I lost a Rosie, but his name was Disney a yellow lab who shared 12 years with us before passing on 12/17/07, his ashes are with us always and forever. I hope her memories are sweet and long lasting until you meet her again.
Blessings for your healing, but also to grieve is a part of the healing process

Anonymous said...

Chris,

thank you for your wonderful words aobut Rosie. Thanks, too for the wonderful picture you took of Hewy, my greyhound.

At the end of April this year, just shy of 13 years, he crossed the Rainbow Bridge and I expect he was at the Bridge waiting when Rosie came bounding over.

I have Hewy's picture (or rather your picture of him) set as my computer background at work, and I pet his sweet nose every morning when I begin my work day.

Unknown said...

Thanks for you kind words and warm thoughts of Rosie crossing the Rainbow Bridge. My prayers and sympathy to you and Hewy as well. They are in a better place now.

Chris

Gifted Giraffe said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss! It is the worst day for any pet owner to have to deal with. It brought tears to my eyes, reading your words. I am still very sad when I think of my beloved Kenya, who lived to 17 and my 2 cats who made it to 18. Just remember you gave Rosie the best life a pet could want! My deepest thoughts are with you, Deedee and Rosie.
StephanieR